By John Marincola
This two-volume better half to Greek and Roman Historiography displays the hot instructions and interpretations that experience arisen within the box of historical historiography some time past few decades.
- Comprises a sequence of innovative articles written by way of recognized scholars
- Presents huge, chronological remedies of significant matters within the writing of background and antiquity
- These are complemented through chapters on person genres and sub-genres from the 5th century B.C.E. to the fourth century C.E.
- Provides a chain of interpretative readings at the person historians
- Contains essays at the neighbouring genres of tragedy, biography, and epic, between others, and their dating to history
Read Online or Download A Companion to Greek and Roman Historiography, 2 volume Set PDF
Similar ancient books
Find out how the traditional Roman civilization begun, constructed, flourished and died out. examine exchange, arts, schooling, politics and non secular ideals. contains photos, illustrations, sidebars timeline, word list, index, examining record and internet sites.
Mithridates VI Eupator, the final king of Pontos, was once unquestionably some of the most in demand figures within the past due Hellenistic interval. all through his lengthy reign (120-63 BC), the political and cultural panorama of Asia Minor and the Black Sea region was once reshaped alongside new traces. The authors current new archaeological learn and new interpretations of varied features of Pontic society and its contacts with the Greek global and its jap neighbours and examine the historical past for the growth of the Pontic nation that finally resulted in the disagreement with Rome.
The writer provides a wide comparative database derived from ethnographic and architectural study in Southeast Asia, Egypt, Mesoamerica, and different parts; proposes new methodologies for comparative analyses of homes; and significantly examines present methodologies, theories, and information. His paintings expands on and systematizes comparative and cross-cultural methods to the examine of families and their environments to supply a company starting place for this rising line of research.
- Ancient and Modern Religion and Politics: Negotiating Transitive Spaces and Hybrid Identities
- Mesoamerica's Ancient Cities
- A Companion to Ethnicity in the Ancient Mediterranean (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
- The Vandals
- The Poetics of Philosophical Language: Plato, Poets and Presocratics in the ''Republic'' (Studies in the Recovery of Ancient Texts)
- A Journey to Palmyra: Collected Essays to Remember Delbert R. Hillers (Culture and History of the Ancient Near East, 22)
Extra resources for A Companion to Greek and Roman Historiography, 2 volume Set
Aed. BCE CE Aedificia (Buildings) Goth. De Bello Gothico Vand. De Bello Vandalico Prop. Propertius, Latin poet, 1st c. Ptol. Ptolemy, Greek geographer, 2nd c. Geog. BCE CE Geography Quint. Quintilian, Roman rhetorician, 1st c. Sall. Sallust, Roman historian, ca. 86–35 CE BCE Cat. De Catilinae Coniuratione or Bellum Catilinae Hist. Historiae Jug. Bellum Jugurthinum schol. Scholiast or scholia Sen. Seneca the Elder, Roman rhetorician, mid-1st c. Sen. CE Contr. Controversiae Suas. Suasoriae BCE –mid-1st Seneca the Younger, Roman politician and philosopher, 1st c.
Stuttgart, 1893–1980) REA Revue des E´tudes Anciennes REG Revue des E´tudes Grecques REL Revue des E´tudes Latines Rev. Arch. 2007 7:24pm Compositor Name: PAnanthi Reference Works: Abbreviations xli RhM Rheinisches Museum fu¨r Philologie RL P. J. Rhodes with D. M. Lewis, The Decrees of the Greek States (Oxford, 1997) RO P. J. Rhodes and R. Osborne, Greek Historical Inscriptions 404–323 BC (Oxford, 2003) Ro¨m. Mitt. Mitteilungen des deutschen archa¨ologischen Instituts. Ro¨mische Abteilung RPhilos.
Mitt. Mitteilungen des deutschen archa¨ologischen Instituts. Ro¨mische Abteilung RPhilos. Revue Philosophique de la France et de l’e´tranger RSA Rivista Storica dell’Antichita` RSI Rivista Storica Italiana SCI Scripta Classica Israelica SCO Studi Classici e Orientali SEG Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum (Amsterdam, 1923–) SemRom Seminari Romani di cultura greca SIG 3 W. Dittenberger, Sylloge Inscriptionum Graecarum, 3rd edition (Leipzig, 1915–1924) SO Symbolae Osloensis Staatsvertra¨ge H. Bengtson and H.