By David O. Moberg
Discover the non secular dimensions of getting older via technological know-how, thought, and practice!During the later years of lifestyles, many of us commit power to a strategy of non secular awakening and self-discovery. but their family members, neighbors, clergy, and the supporting pros who paintings with them should not regularly ready to appreciate or take care of the religious issues in their consumers. getting older and Spirituality offers a special, far-reaching review of this long-neglected field.Divided into 4 self sufficient yet interwoven sections, this landmark e-book covers the non secular realm with clinical rigor and deep human knowing. getting older and Spirituality comprehensively surveys the problems of spirituality, from the basis of uncomplicated definitions to targeted checks of the position spirituality performs within the lives of the aged and prompt instructions for extra learn. This book's new angle combines scholarly study and sensible nuts-and-bolts feedback for provider supply. via drawing from many disciplines and professions, it deals clean views to even these practitioners already acquainted with the best non secular suggestions their very own box can provide. Aging and Spirituality solutions such universal questions as:
- What are the religious wishes of individuals later in existence?
- Is there any strong facts that prayer adjustments issues?
- How is spirituality relating to actual and psychological future health?
- Does spirituality topic whilst humans recognize they're demise?
- How will we degree religious well being and investigate the results of actions meant to augment it?
- Will consciousness to spirituality worsen or alleviate the losses--of buddies, kinfolk, wellbeing and fitness, youth--that so usually happen in the course of previous age?
Aging and Spirituality offers a much-needed source for healthiness care pros, clergy, social staff, and counselors operating with geriatric consumers. by means of integrating non secular concerns into the theoretical framework of social gerontology, getting older and Spirituality might help you know the clinical foundations, sensible functions, and public coverage implications of spirituality for older adults.
Read or Download Aging and Spirituality: Spiritual Dimensions of Aging Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy PDF
Best gerontology books
Determination Making close to the tip of existence presents a accomplished evaluation of the new advancements that experience impacted decision-making techniques in the box of end-of-life care. the most up-tp-date advancements in all features of significant underlying concerns resembling public attitudes, the effect of media, bioethics, and criminal precedent give you the heritage info for the textual content.
Older adults, like several contributors, have various personalities and temperaments. in keeping with Dr. Davenport, toxicity in older adults manifests itself in destructive behaviors and attitudes that may adversely impression interactions with healthiness pros, caregivers, and relations. Davenport provides theories and case examples to assist us comprehend this phenomenon and gives beneficial innovations for taking care of poisonous elders.
Households frequently strive against with the choice to maneuver somebody with dementia right into a care domestic. This determination will be hugely charged and emotional, with emotions of loss, disappointment and guilt quite often skilled, and constructing a very good dating among the family members and the care house is now not a simple subject. during this obtainable advisor, the authors take person-centred dementia care a breakthrough by means of outlining ways that care houses may help make households companions within the worrying approach.
Because the first version, the examine literature on getting older maintains to extend speedily, reflecting either the emerging curiosity of the medical neighborhood and in addition the wishes of a growing old inhabitants. within the yr 1900, folks over sixty five years of age have been the smallest part of built societies. at the present time they're rising because the greatest.
- Preventive Care for Elderly People
- Ageing Societies: a comparative introduction
- The Gerontology Nurse's Guide to the Community-Based Health Network
- The Chemistry of Chlorosulfonyl Isocyanate
- Improving the quality of care in nursing homes
- As the Leaves Turn Gold: Asian Americans and Experiences of Aging
Additional info for Aging and Spirituality: Spiritual Dimensions of Aging Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy
REFERENCES Bailey, Edward (1998). "Implicit religion": What might that be? Implicit Religion 1 (November): 9-22. Cimino, Richard and Don Lattin (1999). Choosing my religion. American Demographics 21(4): 62-65. Ellor, James W. and Marie A. Bracki (1995). Assessment, referral, and networking. In Kimble, M. , S. H. McFadden, J. W. Ellor, and J. J. ), Aging, spirituality, and religion: A handbook (pp. 148-160). Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press. Fallding, Harold (1979). Spiritual well-being as a variety of good morale.
Personal Correspondence. April 18, 1999. Fahey, C. J. (1987). The third age center. Pride 6(3):6-12. Griffin, R. (1997). Still faithful after all these years. S. Catholic, 62(10):33-35. Hagestad, G. O. (1986) Women as kinskeepers. In Pifer, A. and L. ), Our aging society (pp. 148-158). W. Norton and Company. Mafico, Temba L. J. (1997). Tapping our roots: African and biblical teachings. In Ann S. ), Honoring African American elders (pp. 19-33). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers. McDonnell, C.
2. The mentor group received all interventions, including mentors. 3. The control group received no interventions at all. (Taylor and Dryfoos, 1998) The results indicated that the mentor group scored highest on measures of attitude toward school, attitude toward the future, and attitude toward elders. The mentor group had lower incidents of substance use as well. The research also examined the difference between having highly involved mentors (six hours or more per week) and less involved mentors.