By Brandon Satrom
You’ll additionally discover the way forward for polyfilling—or prollyfilling—that will assist you attempt and paintings with rising innovations, frequently sooner than browser owners. by the point you end this booklet, you’ll have the instruments and hands-on event you must construct trustworthy polyfills for today’s and tomorrow’s net.
- Learn the present kingdom of polyfills, together with shims, opt-ins, and drop-ins
- Use rules and practices to construct dependable polyfills that gain the whole net improvement group
- Build out a number of positive factors for an HTML5 types polyfill library
- Configure a construct atmosphere and run computerized cross-browser checking out
- Optimize functionality, deal with part instances, and fine-tune the rate of your polyfill
- Get examples of prollyfilling libraries that push the bounds of the internet
- Write a pattern prollyfill and examine it to present polyfill builds
Read or Download Building Polyfills PDF
Topics and features:
* Describes the construction and use of HTML files, together with tables, types, lists, frames, and cascading sort sheets
* With Hypertext Preprocessor, extends programming basics to incorporate studying and writing server-based documents, command-line interfaces, and an creation to GD graphics
* Appendices comprise lists of ASCII and HTML unique characters, and a short creation to utilizing a “pseudocode” method of organizing recommendations to computing problems
* incorporates a word list and an in depth set of programming exercises
- PhoneGap 2.x Mobile Application Development Hotshot
- Learn iOS 8 App Development (2nd Edition)
- Ajax Construction Kit: Building Plug-and-Play Ajax Applications
Additional resources for Building Polyfills
Of course, if we’re going to add features to our polyfill, we also need ways to test them out, don’t we? In Chapter 4, I’ll discuss setting up unit and cross-browser testing in depth, but in the meantime, let’s create a sample form that we can use to test out our library as we work on it. This sample will serve as a live demonstration and part of our docs when we publish our polyfill, so it’s something you’ll want to add to your projects even if you’re also performing automated testing. Consider it a way to show off all your hard work to your potential users.
I might have even taken on large, burdensome features—like swappable library support —without thinking them through ahead of time. When you set out to build your polyfill, spend an hour or so thinking about some of those important Ws from journalism and composition: Who, What, Why, When, Where, and of course, How. The exercise will provide you with laser-like focus and set you up for success. Building Responsible Polyfills | 15 Speaking of success, let’s build on our vision statement and talk about some principles for building responsible polyfills.
Because of this, the first step in my refactor is to move my color and number type upgrades into a lookup table, essentially just an array of objects that contains the type name and the upgrade function to execute for that type. My initial lookup object can be found in Example 3-12. Example 3-12. kendoNumericTextBox(); } }]; Once I have my lookup table, I can refactor the code in Example 3-11 into something more like Example 3-13, where I iterate over each type in my lookup table, test for support, and perform the upgrade specified in the upgrade function for each.